If you come, it will be built…
The act and art of building something by hand is a trend that’s gaining more popularity among families today. Perhaps, it’s the disconnect from the digital and a reconnect to physical that has attributed to the trend’s continued growth. It really comes down to the fact that people enjoy the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that comes from working with their hands. Yet, it’s not always practical or convenient to take time out to do this, let alone finding the facilities, where building things by hand is allowed. Enter, the Creative Arts Studio of Royal Oak, Michigan where to build something beautiful and memorable, you have to get your hands dirty, as in wheel-throwing, dirty.
When shape takes form…
Wheel throwing is the process of shaping and forming clay into usable shapes on the pottery wheel. Also, wheel throwing is used for adding the finishing touches to pottery such as lines or designs. As the potter’s wheel spins, small indentations or surface changes are quickly applied to the clay, where the shape and features begin to take form. In wheel throwing, the design applications are as wide and varied as the imagination of the potter. Here at the Creative Arts Studio near Detroit, Michigan, our potter’s wheel is always spinning, waiting for you to get your hands dirty at designing cool new things!
The potter’s imprint…
The craftsman of old believed that when they worked with their hands on a project or an object they were actually infusing/adding a piece of themselves into the objects they were working on. It’s as if, they had imprinted a part of themselves onto the object of their creation and that their spirit and essence – live on in their workmanship. While the staff here at the Creative Arts Studio of Royal Oak, Michigan know the objects themselves may be inanimate, it’s the life that’s shaped and spun into them during wheel throwing that does in fact – bear the spirit and essence of the potter.
The reward of working with one’s hands…
If working with your hands on a project or craft has stirred your interest, then wheel throwing is for you! If you’re looking for a new family activity to partake in that will be as rewarding an experience as it is a family-bonding experiment, then wheel-throwing is also for you. If you are looking to satisfy your personal sense of accomplishment, then wheel throwing is equally for you! The potter’s wheel is always making its rounds at the Creative Arts Studio – Royal Oak, Michigan’s own, public potter’s studio.
Experience family fun in a whole new way…
As this festive, holiday season fast approaches, we invite you and yours out to our studio to experience family fun in an entirely new way. The Creative Arts Studio presents painting and pottery classes to help you hone your hard-earned craft. Our classes are taught by skillful artisans who work closely with new students to provide them a well-rounded grasp on the features and fundamentals of wheel throwing. By the end of the class, you will know how to create, shape, and design by hand – a pottery piece you can be proud of and one that’s infused with your creative essence…
- You can take a one time lesson
- 1 hour long
- Make a bowl
- Learn to shape the clay on the pottery wheel
- Step by step instruction
- Finished bowl is food safe
- Paint your bowl during your lesson
- Six-week courses are available
- Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings available as well as Sunday mornings
- Two-hour class sessions each week
- Small class sizes
- Learn how to center your clay and how to make bowls, mugs, vases, and more
- Your own private storage space for your work
- Come in during your free time to practice outside of class time
- Scout Troops can learn about wheel throwing
- Earn your pottery badge
- Creative Arts Studio badges also available
- Hand build a coil pot and throw a bowl on the wheel
- Paint all of your creations during the lesson
- Projects are designed to meet badge requirements
- Pottery Badge Days are great for small troops to earn their badges together
- Birthday Parties
- One hour lesson on the pottery wheel
- Make a bowl and paint it during the lesson
- Birthday plate is designed with handprints and fingerprints as a gift from us!
- Second hour in the party room for pizza and cake time
- The Pottery Wheel is also available for:
- Bachelorette parties
- Work outings
- Family get-togethers
- Date nights